Bolsterstone is a small village bordering Stocksbridge and Deepcar, approximately
10 miles North West of Sheffield City Centre (see below).
Bolsterstone is a small Pennine village situated above the steel town of Stocksbridge.
The present church was built between 1872 and 1878 at the instigation of the then
vicar William Reginald Wilson, as the existing church, the Bland church which was
built in 1791 was considered ugly, barn-like, cold and draughty! Bolsterstone’s
first positively identified Chapel was funded by Sir Robert de Rockley in 1412.
St Mary’s church has suffered a few mishaps over the years. In 1974 the church closed
temporarily because dry rot and woodworm had made the Nave roof unsafe. The roof
was repaired but later in the same year one of the four tower pinnacles was blown
through the new roof causing further problems. For safety reasons the remaining
three pinnacles were removed quite dramatically by helicopter. In 1989 an extension
for a meeting room and toilet was added to the church. We are fortunate to have
a ring of eight bells and a keen team of tower bell ringers. Teams of ringers from
other churches visit to ring our bells. St Mary’s also has a team of hand bell ringers
which play on public and charity occasions.
Bolsterstone had a church school until this was deemed to be too small, and in July
1992 it was closed; followed shortly afterwards by the Village Shop and Post Office.
The ‘school’ is now the Village Hall with a thriving community group.
Nowadays, St Mary’s is a welcoming friendly church with lay participation in leading
prayers, Bible reading, assisting in Holy Communion, and providing the offering of
bread. Refreshments are served after the 10.45am Sunday morning service. We try
to involve families as much as possible and welcome children of all ages. We have
a thriving Friday morning service for parents and carers with pre-school children.
We also welcome school parties and other groups by prior arrangement and regularly
host visits by school groups as part of their History or Religious Education lessons.
We have an open Baptism policy, supported by a team that offers preparation for Baptism,
providing all those who want to be a member of God’s church an opportunity to do
so. We are an inclusive church and warmly welcome people from other churches and
We have been partners for many years with the Methodist Church in Stocksbridge Christian
Centre at Cedar Road, an ecumenical project which offers a slightly more informal
style of worship, and together we have recently formed a formal Mission Partnership
with our sister Anglican churches in the area, St Matthias Stocksbridge and St John’s
Deepcar. Our Priest in Charge is Reverend Hilda Isaacson, who is also Priest in
Charge at St John’s, Deepcar. Hilda is the main point of contact for couples wishing
to get married at St Mary’s and, along with Sally Ashton, our Verger, is also a main
contact for arranging Funerals. Those wishing to discuss Christening arrangements
for children or adults should contact either Hilda or one of the Baptism preparation
team in the first instance. Contact details are provided on the Worship page (see
link at the top of this page).
Flowers: We offer a flower arranging service for weddings, funerals and other occasions.
A team of arrangers volunteer their services, a small charge is made and this goes
towards the church. Every few years we hold a Flower Festival, organised by a group/committee
who choose the theme - usually from the bible - and followed through with floral
arrangements in the church created by church members and friends of St Mary’s. This
popular event is normally held over the three days of the August ‘Bank Holiday’ weekend.
Who are we?
Priest in Charge:
Reverend Hilda Isaacson
Miss Charlotte Bridger
Mrs Virginia Miall
Deputy Warden: Mr Peter Fearnley
Pro-Warden: Mr Peter Ashworth
Secretary to the Parochial Church Council:
Mrs Ann Ashworth
Mr John Williams
Treasurer: Mrs Barbara Caswell
Verger and Sexton: Mrs Sally Ashton
Members of the Parochial Church Council:
Mrs S Ashton
Miss C Bridger
Mrs B Caswell
Mrs S Casson
Mr D Domican
Mr W Fieldsend
Mrs A Gwilym
Mrs P Helliwell
Mr S Varley
Mrs A Ashworth
Mr P Ashworth
Mrs M Derbyshire
Mrs S Fantozzi
Mr P Fearnley
Mrs B Fretwell Frost
Mr G Helliwell
Mrs Virginia Miall
Mr J Williams
St Mary’s parish church at Bolsterstone, Sheffield